The Promising Practices Series
National Civic League is hosting a series of "AAC Promising Practices" webinars to share innovative and impactful AAC projects nationwide. This series will also highlight successful projects around the country with speakers from cities implementing creative strategies for civic engagement. By equipping individuals, institutions, and local governmental bodies through this series with ideas, models and insights that can be adopted/adapted to individual communities NCL hopes to accelerate the pace of change in communities across the country.
Community presentations are an essential part of the All-America City experience. Finalist communities have 10 minutes to present the story of their work and their community to a jury of national civic experts. Communities are free to create performances that best tell their story - including everything from straightforward presentations to skits, from mock TV shows to heartfelt stories, from dancing to spoken-word poetry and rap.
Teams from other finalist communities fill the audience to watch one another present the story of their work. These presentations give other communities a chance to learn from their peers and cheer one another on. Whatever form they take, these presentations are a powerful, inspiring and educational experience.
Click here to find a collection of presentations from previous All-America City Finalists.
As you fill out the application, it may be helpful to consult the following material:
All-America City Award Related:
- The All-America City Experience: Brief informational video on the award program
- Previous All-America City presentations
- Previous All-America City Award Event Program
- Previous Applications:
- NCL’s Civic Index to help evaluate your civic infrastructure
- NCL’s All-America Conversations Toolkit
- Asset-based framework--Discovering Community Power: A Guide to Mobilizing Local Assets and Your Organization’s Capacity. (Provided by permission of co-author John McKnight)
National Civic Review Articles on Civic Engagement:
- What Makes an All-America City?
- Hampton, Virginia: Civic Engagement as a Management Strategy
- Dubuque: Creating a Culture of Engagement
- Decatur, Georgia: Diversity, Gentrification, and the Art of Community Conversation
- Seattle’s Race and Social Justice Initiative
- W. K. Kellogg Foundation’s Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation Initiative (NCL is a proud partner of the TRHT Initiative)
- Building Welcoming Communities Campaign